Thursday, February 18, 2010

One Day.

So my Bible Study group is going through this amazing book called Chase the Goose. Summed up, it's basically reclaiming the spiritual adventure, and breaking out of cages that we sometimes get trapped in. These include cages of responsibility, routine, assumptions, guilt, failure, and fear. The study has been incredible, convicting, and full of wisdom so far.



This week's topic is the cage of routine. As I was reading through the first couple pages this morning, and thinking about all the routine I get caught up in sometimes, this one paragraph just smacked me in the face with a reality check. It is referring to taking things one day at a time in a relationship with Christ.



"One Day."

"These words epitomize what a relationship with Christ is all about. When you are in a relationship with Jesus, all bets are off. You never know what you're going to do, where you're going to go, or who you're going to meet. You never know when or where or how God is going to invade the reality of your life and turn it upside down in a single moment. He can show up any place, any time, and turn your life into a Wild Goose chase. That fills me with holy anticipation. It changes the way I live my life because I can't wait to see what God is going to do next."



What an amazing reality that all the useless time we spend worrying about what is going to happen a year, 5 years, 10 years down the road...it doesn't have to even enter our minds. The world constantly screams to us that we need to have it all figured out. That we need to know exactly what we're going to do, where we're going to go after college, who we're going to fall in love with, etc etc etc.



I will be the first to admit that I am the worst about worrying about the future. It's a horrible habit that I certainly need to be prayerful about breaking. Focusing on one day at a time is hard. I find it almost impossible to not think about how the decisions I am making now, the steps of blind faith that I am taking right now, are going to effect my life years down the road. I'm always scared that if I take one step of blind faith in the wrong direction, I'm going to ruin everything about my future. But in reality, that's not the case.

A couple weeks ago, someone told me something that had a really huge impact on the way I think about things.

"It's not always about having a clear answer or a definite sign. Sometimes you just have to take a step of faith knowing that if it's not the step God intended for you to take, He will pick you back up, turn you around, and still have His amazing plan waiting for you."



Even though this is such a simple truth, I guess I had never really thought about it that way before. As long as we are earnestly seeking God in the steps we take, it's not always about knowing exactly which direction we're supposed to go in. It's about taking a step of faith somewhere at least, and knowing that even in our uncertainty, His plan for us is still so GOOD.

I feel like there is so much freedom in knowing that. It comforts me to know that even when I am so uncertain of the next step to take in my life, God is always looking out for me, and will be glorified in my life as long as I am seeking His will.

"Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He will do this. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him."
Psalm 37: 4-5;7

No comments:

Post a Comment