Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sweet Summer, I adore your simplicity.

Summertime was at its best this morning. I woke up early to sunshine pouring through my window, and couldn't help but display a toothy grin. I love mornings like that.
I took my hammock down to my favorite spot in Radford, where there is an incredible view of the river and the mountains. As I sat there in my hammock, listening to all the birds chirping, the breeze in the air, and the river trickling, I couldn't help but think about what an incredible Creator we have.
He didn't have to make everything so beautiful, but He chose to. He didn't have to make the birds sing so beautifully, or the sunrises so breathtaking. No one forced Him to make the little forest animals so interesting and entertaining for me to watch as I sat there this morning, or made Him make the sun glisten on the river like He did. But He chose to. He chose to give us a breathtaking, beautiful creation to enjoy, and I am endlessly amazed by this. I never want to take it for granted...it's incredible to me that He loves us so much, despite our flaws, that He chooses to give us so many simple things to enjoy each and every day!

Hammocking and reading have been two of my favorite ways to relax lately. I know that when fall semester starts, my schedule is going to get pretty crazy, so I try to cherish every free moment I have now. I'm in the middle of the Harry Potter books, and am completely hooked. Thanks, Brandon!

Next Monday, I leave for vacation with my family. I am so excited about it. I can't wait to spend time with them, and soak up some sunshine on the beach for a week. And then next Sunday, it's back to work for me. Vacation never seems to last long enough!

Good thing I'm going back to a job I really love. When I'm not cashiering at work, my job is to basically stand at the front door and tell people hello as they come in. And as deathly boring as it sounds, (and yes, sometimes it definitely is!) it has actually been opening my eyes a bit. I actually pay attention to the people that come through the door..I notice if they're smiling or frowning, if they looks joyous or saddened, and even if they look as if they want to say hello back to me or not. Regardless, I always give them a smile. As silly as it sounds, I know that for some of them, it may be the only one they get that day. It breaks my heart how many people I see come and go that just look like they are so burdened and without joy. Some won't even look up from the ground to say hello and I feel sad for them. I pray for them as they walk by.

Sounds so silly, but most days, I love my part-time job :)

Even though my schedule is going to be a million times more crammed, I'm looking forward to school starting back. I'm anticipating the new classes, the new pencils and notebooks (weird, but I LOVE new school supplies), new friendships, new activities, and even the new challenges. Each year that I've spent in college has kind of had an overlying theme, and I am excited to see what my junior year holds in store for me! Freshman year was all about finding out who I wanted to be as a person, what path I wanted to take, and what I wanted to define me. Sophomore year taught me a lot about what I wanted to spend my time pursuing, what I was passionate about, the fact that every difficult situation has a purpose, and that whatever I do, I need to do it wholeheartedly. What life defining lessons might I learn this year? :)

I guess that's going to be it for now. It's starting to rain outside, and I'm going to be completely cliche and curl up in my favorite blanket with some hot chocolate and a book.

Until next time...

Lauren

"Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord, and not for men."
Colossians 3:23

No comments:

Post a Comment